Portuguese Brigadeiros | A Mouthful of Indulgence
Brigadeiros are a Brazilian delicacy that have also become a popular treat in Portugal because of their sweet deliciousness and the ease with which they can be prepared. They are a brilliant party treat - you can use different coatings to prepare a colourful plate and provide different textures and levels of sweetness. Not only do they look beautiful but they satisfy any sweet tooth and are the perfect size to just pop in your mouth in one go! Another advantage is that they can be stored at room temperature, in a cool and dry spot, for up to three days or can also be refrigerated for up to a week which means that you don't need to add to your party day stress levels cooking dessert on the day of the party!
100 g milk chocolate, cut into pieces
1 tbsp lightly salted butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Chocolate sprinkles and other coloured coatings like crushed nuts or cookies, mini smarties, coconut or sugar
Mini baking cups
- In a saucepan on low heat, mix the chocolate and 1 tablespoon of butter until blended and smooth
- Add in the condensed milk
- Stir constantly on low heat until the mixture is quite dense, almost caramel-like
- Grease a plate with some butter and pour the mixture onto it. Cover with film and let it cool until just warm
- While you are waiting for your mixture to cool, prepare your sprinkle selections and your mini baking cups
- Grease your hands with some butter and roll the mixture into small balls and coat each ball thoroughly with your desired sprinkles
- Keep in the fridge until you are ready to serve
Top Tip - You can use this same recipe to cover a cake instead of using icing. My children love it when I use rainbow sprinkles or gold and/or silver powder for the Christmas period.